Saturday, January 26, 2013

W2D3: Simplicity

When people undergo a drastic transformation, they're always asked 'how did you do it?' Their audience is looking for that magic pill or secret they've never heard. When I'm asked how my transformation happened, my favorite new answer is, 'simply.'

Let's rewind a bit. Aside from having divorced parents at a young age, I lived a pretty kosher life for the most part. I didn't always have what I wanted, but I always had what I needed. I witnessed some abuse but I myself was not abused. The closest thing I had to depression was being picked on by other kids because I was a little bigger than they were. I went to a great high school that gave me many opportunities to showcase my singing talent. I can't even begin to tell you when my struggle with food addiction started, or why. I distinctly remember one of my first jobs of packing to-go orders for a local restaurant. Every order included a couple of these delicious poppyseed rolls with cinnamon honey butter. Whenever I'd open the bread drawer, I'd put two in the order and take one for myself. You do realize I was packing about fifty of these orders a night, right? I guess all the time spent on my feet made up for the insane amount of calories I was taking in because I didn't really gain any weight. And of course I got a discount on my food so every night after my shift I'd get myself a ginormous burger, and take it home and eat it at midnight, then go to bed. Healthy habits in the making right there, folks. NOT! When I went to college there was a little pizza stand right across the street from my dorm. Ready-to-eat pizza and breadsticks 24-hours a day. Again, stupid choices were made, and often. When I moved in with my husband(who was my boyfriend at the time), we were living off very little money until I found a job and of course, thinking it was expensive to buy healthy, I made bad choices again. So that said, I can't blame my weight gain on the actions of others. I don't have that excuse. The only reason I can give is my own stupidity.

Back to 'simply.' As the weight has fallen off over the last year, and at a quick pace, I'm often asked how I did it. At first it was making simple changes. I started exercising. When that change stopped working by itself, I started changing my eating habits and shopping the perimeter of the grocery store. And when those two things stopped working, I took a really good look at the things I was buying and how much of them I was consuming. I've never been a huge calorie counter. I'll do it for a couple weeks at a time if I'm not seeing any progress, but normally I just follow the rule of thirds(more on that later). I've never had any long-term success with diets or shakes or pills. And so it seems that now, the easiest way to shed the weight has been the most simple. You eat right(clean), you get enough exercise, you get enough sleep and you stop worrying about it. Just get into your groove and live it. Don't do it for a few months and stop. Live it...FOREVER. So my challenge to you is to get simple. Don't over think it. Make a healthy plan for your life, stick to it, and watch how easily the changes occur.

W2D3 Operation: Unleash the MILF

Today was the hardest workout, yet. My partner and I really struggled to get through the circuit as the last three moves(dumbbell lunges, v-ups, and box jumps) really took it out of us. But we made it through and I'm really proud of us. I also feel like I'm already starting to see some changes in my body. I'm officially down into the 160's(a number I've never seen!) and feel like my muscles are coming out to play now that I've adjusted my caloric intake UP, and getting my macronutrients straightened out. Here are some really bad iPhone pics that I took yesterday. Obviously you can't tell much but I hope to repeat this series every couple weeks till the end of the program. And of course I'll wear less clothes in better light as time progresses. ;) And I want to tell you women out there, don't be afraid to lift heavy. I might look bulky to you but let me assure you...THAT IS FAT. I still have quite a bit of fat on my body. That's why we call it 'leaning out.' Lifting heavy will not bulk you up. You lack the hormones.


Workout Duration: 35:53
Calories Burned: 429 *Note, this does not include cardio. I skipped today's cardio in favor of zumba last night.*

No comments:

Post a Comment