Tuesday, January 15, 2013

W1D2: Let's Talk Goals

Most of us are taught to set goals from a young age. Whether that be saving money, getting an A on a test, or being the best at our sport, they all have one thing in common: starting something and finishing it. When I first started this journey, I set one goal and that was to weigh less than 200 pounds. I had my eye set on 199 and figured I'd probably stop once I got there. But as the weeks went on and the weight came off, I liked what I saw enough to keep going once I'd reached my goal. After that, my next goal was to wear a bikini on the beach and feel comfortable. I still have not reached that goal  but I know that one day I will get there. In the meantime, I wear my bikini and try not to worry about it too much. I'd rather just have fun than worry about sucking in my gut. Anyone that knows me well enough knows that I've worked damn hard to get as far as I have and there is no shame in that! Another goal I have, and this happens to go along with Operation: Unleash the MILF, is to get down to 20% body fat. All this to say, goals come in many forms and can be achieved in many ways.

Sometimes I like to chat with the personal trainers at my gym and have them weigh in on my weight loss(no pun intended). I've been told to pick a number, to pick a size, or to pick a functional fitness goal such as doing an unassisted pull-up(getting there!). But something no personal trainer, or anyone else for that matter, can tell you is what goal to pick for yourself. Sure, they can help you achieve your goals but they cannot pick the goal for you. Nor should they! Health and fitness is such a personal thing and I think sometimes it's good to step back, refocus, and remember that you are doing this for you. And if you're like me and don't work with a personal trainer, know that there are many, many ways to reach whatever goal you set. You want to run? Start running and see how far you can go, then go further next time. Not working for you? Find a program like Couch to 5K to get you started and coach you along. Still not working? Get a friend involved! Got a Diet Coke habit? Cut it cold turkey. Just bite the bullet and do it. Too much? Work to subtract a few ounces a day from your diet until you reach the magic number of ZERO. Still not your thing? Pay yourself! For every hour a day you don't take a sip, give yourself a quarter!

YOU hold all the tools within yourself to set a goal, to reach that goal, and to surpass it and become better than even you expected. So my challenge to you is simple: Figure out what you want to do. Brainstorm four or five ideas to help you achieve that goal and find the one that works best for you. It really is that simple. :)



And now for my summary of today's Operation: Unleash the MILF workout....I have never, ever come so close to losing my breakfast in the weightroom. My circuits involved burpees at the end and by the second round it was taking every ounce of mental strength to not blow chunks. Pretty, huh?

Workout Duration: 55 Minutes

Calories Burned: 509

Most Memorable Quote: "It's been awhile since I've seen a pebble."

And I must tell you about the funniest moment of my day. I shouldn't laugh. I really shouldn't. You see, one of the girls that works out alongside me(and sometimes with me!) was doing her thing on the treadmill, running off some excess energy. My partner and I started messing with her, cheering her on, and next thing we know? That woman has tripped, done a flip, landed on her back and is sailing down the belt. She lay there for a moment composing herself, gets up, and with a red face starts laughing. And of course we all follow suit because...DUH...that's funny stuff! Thankfully she is okay with some bumps and bruises. I'm sure she'll feel it tomorrow but I am so proud of her for getting back on that treadmill and finishing her workout, even if it was just walking. And this is one of the reasons I love these ladies so much. We don't take anything too seriously. When it's time to work, we work! But then we like to dick around plenty, too. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment