Monday, March 4, 2013

W8D1: Under The Influence Of Awesomeness

I've always been a klutz of epic proportions. How I survived eight years of dance lessons and six years of marching band is beyond me. Even the choir room was hazardous, falling down risers onto the piano. Yeah...don't ask. ;) My fitness journey has been no exception. From slamming my fingers between dumbbells to tripping over barbells to rolling my ankle multiple times during Zumba, every day is an amusing journey. Thankfully I have never seriously injured myself!

Last week I started getting a little more brave with my box jumps and put a plate on top to add an inch of height. At the moment my feet left the floor, my partner said something funny that completely wrecked my train of thought. My left foot completed the jump and landed square on the box but my right toes grazed the edge, sending my right leg behind my left. I dove to the side to avoid crashing forward into the rack of dumbbells, did some sort of mid-air spin and landed on one foot right beside the box. Best part? Didn't even knock over my open water bottle. This, of course, pissed me off. I got right back behind the box and jumped, landing solidly on top. I may or may not have yelled a few obscenities at the poor box and then raised my fist in triumph while everyone looked on at the crazy girl.

I guess I'm making my mishaps a weekly thing because today I embarrassed myself yet again. Our circuit was comprised of three different types of lateral pulldowns in a row. As we set up camp at the cable machine, I hooked the lat bar to the carabiner and didn't realize some bozo before me had the weight set to five pounds. Guess what? The lat bar weighs more than five pounds. As it came crashing down on my head I shrieked like a little girl and everyone turned to watch. Red-faced and laughing, I picked that shit up, changed the weight, reset the bar and got down to business. Take that!

Why am I telling you all this? First of all, it's stupidly funny. Second, don't be afraid to be under the influence of awesomeness. When you do amazing things with your body(like lift more than five pound weights ;)...), you're bound to have a few bumps in the road. Laugh it off and get back to it. Conquer whatever is trying to defeat you, and do it with a huge grin on your beet-red face.



W8D1 Operation: Unleash the MILF
Total weight lost: 3 lbs.
Workout duration: 1:05:53
Calories burned: ~700(My HRM cut off during my first circuit and I couldn't get it back on until my third. Boo!)

As an aside, I just wanted to share this picture. A friend took it last weekend and it's one of those that I had to do a double take to realize that's me! That's my five year old next to me and my two year old in front of me. I keep going back to this picture because it really helps get into my head that size I really am, not the size my brain still thinks I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment